I’m a big fan of little pleasant breaks throughout the day. Finding moments when I can pause, be alone, or go inward. I guess it really is a matter of little moments of self-care pauses during my regular routine.
SOME WAYS I PRACTICE SELF-CARE PAUSES
- I arrive 10-15 minutes earlier than everyone else so I can sit and enjoy a moment of quiet before the busy-ness of the day.
- I carry headphones in my purse so I can listen to music or an audiobook when I’m in a hectic public place. If I’m sitting in a busy waiting room, or packed into a small space with strangers, I find it soothing to go inward and listen to something enjoyable.
- Some days, I stop for my favorite latte on the way to my next appointment. I drink it slowly and make yummy noises. To myself, obviously.
- I carry my current crochet project in my car so I can fit in some craft time any chance I get. The same could be done with a book. When you have a few moments of quiet throughout your day, take those moments to read instead of mindlessly scrolling through your phone.
- I only drink tea from one of my favourite mugs. It’s like a treat for me.
- I stop and breathe and tell myself to slow down. Especially in traffic or in line at Walmart. It’s okay to be still for a few minutes while you wait for someone else.
It really is about paying attention to the little things and finding moments whenever you can get them.
Looking to calm racing thoughts at bedtime? Download my free 5-minute sleep meditation!